DC Navy Yard Shooter’s Mental Status and Timeline of Shooting (Video Included)

DC Navy Yard Shooter's Mental Status and Timeline of Shooting (Video Included)

WASHINGTON D.C – According to federal law enforcement investigating D.C Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis (34), as his mental condition worsened he came to believe his thoughts were controlled by low frequency electromagnetic waves which eventually led to violent shooting last month.

D.C Navy Yard Stories
Details About D.C Navy Yard Shooter Aaron Alexis
13 Dead, 8 Injured In D.C Navy Yard Rampage, Shooter Among The Dead

In addition to details released about Alexis’ mental condition, federal law enforcement also released surveillance footage that shows the former U.S Navy reservist making his way through the halls of Building 197.

The video also shows that he was armed with a sawed off shotgun, the weapon he used to kill 12 people.

Assistant FBI Director Valerie Parlave detailed information from laptops and devices belonging to Aaron Alexis that showed that he was being targeted with the mentioned electromagnetic waves.

“Ultra-low frequency attack is what I’ve been subject to for the last three months and to be perfectly honest that is what has driven me to this,” one message read.

His weapon of choice in the massacre, a 870 Remington shotgun, featured references to the electromagnetic waves with an etching that read, “My ELF (extremely low-frequency) weapon.”

Also etched on the gun was “End to the torment!” “Better off this way!” and “Not what ya’ll say.”

Assistant Director Parlave said, “There are multiple indicators that Alexis held a delusional belief that he was being controlled or influenced by low-frequency electromagnetic waves.”

Just a month prior Rhode Island police were summoned to a Newport hotel where Aaron Alexis told them that he was hearing voices in the room.

Parlave said that Alexis’ writings show that he probably saw the rampage as a suicide mission. “There are indications that Alexis was prepared to die during the attack and that he accepted death as the inevitable consequence of his actions.”

All of the evidence searched through shows that he worked alone and wasn’t targeting anyone.

The duration of the rampage was a little over an hour. Prior to that, Aaron Alexis arrived in the parking garage at 7:53 AM and used his access to Building 197 at 8:08 AM. From there, he went to a fourth floor restroom with his backpack and clipboard in tow.

The FBI believes that Alexis put his weapon together in the restroom before coming outs. The first victim was shot at 8:16 AM and law enforcement were alerted.

During the course of the shooting, Alexis went down to the third floor from the fourth and after a moment he appeared on the first. The incident ended with the shooter being killed by police gunfire at 9:25 AM on the third floor.

Found near Alexis’ body were a handgun, shotgun shells, and casings. The backpack the shotgun was carried in was found in the restroom on a stall door. Flash drives and data storage devices were found in the backpack as well and are still being looked over by law enforcement.

One of the issues punctuated in this shooting and in the revelations following it was that Aaron Alexis was able to acquire such a firearm given his mental status.

U.S Attorney Ronald Machen Jr. said that it was another instance of “a mentally unstable individual was allowed to obtain a firearm in an attack designed to kill as many individuals as possible.” He pointed to recent examples such as Tucson, Arizona, Aurora, Colorado, and Newtown, Connecticut.

Alexis was able to get his shotgun because he had never been legally deemed mentally ill by court or specialist. If he had been, his legal purchase on September 14 would have never gone through.

Starting with Kabir News in 2013, James has focused on tech, gaming, and entertainment. When not writing, he enjoys catching up on sci-fi and horror shows and comics. He can be followed on Twitter @MetalSwift.

Leave a Comment